Kitty Cat Update

Well, this weekend has not faired well for the felines in this household.
As you know, Fat Cat had to be taken to the vet this past Monday. She improved for…one night…then it was back downhill.
And Little Man Jeffrey gave us all a fright as well.
I noticed Fat Cat being lethargic again, and kind of whiny. And then as I was cuddling Little Man Jeffrey early Friday evening, I noticed two lumps on his neck. One was more pronounced than the other. Between the two kitties, we were beside ourselves, so my daughter hunted down a veternary clinic that has emergency hours. Granted, it was an hour long trip, and Fat Cat does not travel well at all, and the Pet ER was OUTRAGIOUSLY expensive…but…worth it.
Little Man Jeffrey had a fever, so they worked on him first. Those lumps were an abscess. They gave him a fever reducer, pain shot, anti-biotics and then they lanced the abscess. Close to 200bux for all that. And the daughter has to pick open the mark from the lance and squeeze more of the puss out when she can until it goes away completely. 
One side is already gone, the other is still puffy and needs to be drained throughout the day.
Fat Cat is another story. X-rays were done and they found a really huge impaction in her upper intestines. This ER wanted to either just give her laxatives, or go in guns blazing with scalpals…it would have cost between 1800 – 2200bux. I kindly asked for a sedative and pain reliever to be administered, and a copy of the X-Rays.
So come Saturday morning, Fat Cat and I are waiting outside our regular vets office. The doctor takes us right away and looks over everything. He can do anything needed for under 500 bux. He sedated her, shaved her, then ran a tube into her intestines to try to break up the impaction and massage it out.
Then he felt something hard and round.
He called and asked permission to go in scalpals blazing, which, of course I said yes.
He had to cut out 4 inches of intestine, clean out a huge mass of hair and food that had solidified somewhat, and then he found that round mass. At first he thought it was a tumor, so he took his scalpal to it. It was hair and food, so rock hard, that it was blocking the valve in her intestines not letting anything at all pass.
Also, part of what he had cut out was scarred tissue. We put our heads together and deducted that when that dog bit her in her belly last year, he did more internal damage than anyone imagined.
So, he’s not expecting to releasse Fat Cat on Tuesday, at the latest.
I miss her so much. She has such a comforting presence for me.
Also, this is the first time she has ever slept away from home. Its one thing for me to go off for a weekend, but poor Fat Cat has never been out of her element, surrounded by strange smells and other animal scents. I’m sure, well, if she wasnt totally doped out of her mind right now, that she would be feeling so much anxiety being separated from her home comforts.
The doc is going to call me in a few hours. Yes, its 4:45AM…I havent slept since Thursday night, and even that was just a few hours.
I tried to catch a nap today, but Little Man Jeffrey had other plans involving his little claws and my little toes.
Think happy thoughts for my Fat Cat!!! <3

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.